Sunday, July 29, 2012

Lovely Summer Evenings, You've Got Mail, and Truth Filled Words...

...an eclectic collection of hopeFULL thoughts, a good movie, and a tall glass of fresh-squeezed lemonade - because, sometimes, cocoa just doesn't suit the sunshine



On particularly perfect Sunday nights when dusk settles in just right and I’ve spent the evening preparing slow cooked meals and fluffy mashed potatoes, delicious green beans and brown butter sauce in the pale light under the kitchen stove, I find a calm content with the world.
It’s those evenings that I most desire to curl up with a good book or watch a slow story unfold in front of me. And when I’d like to have a taste of both, I pop in “You’ve Got Mail” and smile as happiness and love sneak up on the lovely Ms. Kelly and Mr. F-O-X.
"I am a lone reed..."
says Kathleen Kelly, and this is why I fell in love with the film… there’s something about this character, this down to earth woman with her dreams and insecurities pinned precariously on her sleeve that draws you into her story…
And then something positively ridiculous comes out of her mouth and you think, well, now, why didn’t I think of that?
"Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today, I saw one! It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where, I assume, it was going to Bloomingdales to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake, as almost all hats are"
Of course, seeing this as a little girl, I wanted to be just like Kathleen – pretty and feminine and falling in love and could we top it off with a delightful little bookstore filled with twirling too?

And now as I watch, I find that somewhere tucked away in a small corner of my heart I relate more to the wondering than the books… Allow me to spin this into something much deeper than, I assume, even the most ambitious script writer intended…
"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"
It’s not in the perfect Sunday evenings that I wish I was somewhere else doing something different. Actually it’s quite the contrary, it’s in those moments that I am very much content with my “small life”
But in those far between dreary Tuesday nights, when graying skies give way to inky darkness and sneaky thoughts of discontent begin to stir my heart, It is then when I most need reminding that small as it may be, my life is indeed valuable.

I chose you before I formed you in the womb;
I set you apart before you were born.
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.
Jeremiah 1:5
He chose me… set me apart… appointed me…
What He has planned for you and for me is far greater than what a screenplay copywriter can invent or we can even imagine… His grace has set us apart; His love has given us value. 
And so I find myself wrapped fully in His truths – contented by His purpose and abiding in His faithfulness… thankful for my abundant life and blessed as I carry out my daily tasks, however small they may be
Let’s take our place, embrace our role–and fall into the genuine authenticity of the life the Lord has created for us to live.

photo credit: JenWaller via photo pin cc

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...