Thursday, August 23, 2012

Shhhh…....


{1} Knowing What to Say, and {2} Not Saying It

“A woman who is quick to listen is one who gathers up all the information before releasing her reaction. She resists the urge to spout off everything in her mind before it formulates, choosing rather to give her solutions time to settle, to become properly shaped before being shared. When she speaks, her advice and assessments are sensible and sober. Prudent and purposeful.”


I read this earlier this week and thought,  hmmm… I don’t think I can say that for myself. Too often I find myself only half-heartedly listening to see where I can interject my opinion, story, idea, solution, etc., or talking over the other to get my point across, just a little quicker and a little louder. 

I desire to have the words that I speak be Prudent and Purposeful. Sometimes this mean I need to keep my mouth shut!

“…someone who’s long abandoned the need to impress others or be the center of attention. In its place she’s acquired the ease and freedom that unsaddles from pride and pretense, from anything that compels the desire to be noticed or to force her importance onto the group. In humility and appreciation of others, she’s content just being a participant like everyone else. She doesn’t think she’s always right and that she alone knows all the answers. Just listen and learn. Contemplate and consider. Weigh and wait…
                This is Wisdom.”


James says if we can control our tongue we control our whole body. 

“If anyone does not stumble in what he says he is a mature man who is also able to control his whole body” James 3:2

“[Consider] ships. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark…With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.”


And so, my convictions set me to action. I have resolved that my words be prudent and purposeful. It’s not been easy – I find myself needing to hold my tongue much more than I anticipated, but I have also found and that there is a blessing in silence and a joy in listening. And in those, I long to live in.

All quotes aside from those Biblical come from “The Resolution for Women” by Priscilla Shirer, her book can be found here


photo credit: bookish in north park via photo pin cc
photo credit: MarcelGermain via photo pin cc
photo credit: . SantiMB . via photo pin cc

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...