Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Carrot Bisque Soup for a Windy Autumn Day: my current strategy to avoid wearing a parka in the office




The brisk and blustery fall weather we’ve had lately calls for a comfort food no other season can quite explain…SOUP! And lots of it.

I found a wonderful recipe for Carrot Bisque Soup (and yes, I realize that's redundant) that’s quite delicious AND nutritious. I mean, talk about a bushel full of veggies! I love taking it to work in my mason jars (even if it does end up looking a bit like baby food!).

The recipe there is quite lovely but my husband can’t stomach the smell of curry, so I made mine without it. And my lands, 6 cloves of garlic seemed like an awful lot - I pared down to two and dcan;t say the other four were missed. And, as always, I cooked a bit “off the cuff.” read: Spaced at the grocery store and bought chicken stock instead of vegetable stock - So I substituted the 4 cups of veggie for 2 of chicken and used 4 cups of water instead… turned out great!

Curried Carrot Bisque

Ingredients
1-1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 bunch carrots with tops still on, sliced (2 cups)
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and cubed
6 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon curry powder
4 cups vegetable stock
2 cups water
1 medium russet potato, peeled and cubed (1 cup)


Directions
  1. Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat; add carrots, red bell pepper, potatoes, and garlic until fragrant and slightly soft, about five minutes, stirring frequently to prevent garlic from browning.
  2. Add in curry powder, and sauté about 1-2 minutes, or until very fragrant.
  3. Pour in vegetable stock, being sure to scrape up all the fond off the bottom of the pan; stir in water.
  4. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are fork-tender, about 45 minutes.
Transfer carefully to a blender, and process until silky smooth, about 2 minutes. Serve warm, and garnish with a carrot top frond.

Serves 6…Recipe from yumsugar.com, inspired by Vegetarian Times.

A couple tips I will add… the recipe doesn’t say to cover while simmering, but I highly recommend it or your soup will disappear… and it’s a sad day when homemade soup evaporates (quite literally) in to thin air before it finds your tummy!

I haven’t done much with blending soups, but the potato gives such a creamy texture that you’d think it was packed with heavy cream and butter… delish! However… use caution when you blend anything hot. I made sure to only fill my blender half way and used a slow and steady approach with the lid cracked just a bit and covered with a dish towel for any splattering… worked wonderfully!

Oh! And I don’t buy carrots with the tops on… that’s a bit too close to bunny food for my Midwestern taste, so my soup was not beautifully adorned with a carrot frond… dear me!

Hope you enjoy!

Do you have any favorite cold-weather recipes?

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...