Monday, October 15, 2012

I'm not from around here...

Strangers in the world...This struck me Sunday morning as I sat quietly listening to the read-aloud words.

To God’s elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood:
Grace and peace be yours in abundance.          1 Peter 1:1-2
I’m a stranger here, I’m not supposed to fit in, I am not the same.

I should not be the same in what I do…
For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.           Colossians 1:9-12

How I speak…
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Ephesians 4:29 
 What I watch and listen too…
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.       Philippians 4:8

What I wear and how I look…
Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.  Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.           1 Peter 3:3-4

How often do I find myself on the outside looking in, wishing I could be a bit more like her or just a tiny bit more like that???
Instead, I should be striving to look more and more like Jesus every day. Because I am not supposed to look like everybody else. 
I am not the same… because He has chosen me to be different. 


photo credit: ny156uk via photopin cc

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...