Friday, November 9, 2012

In the Simple...

"It is ingrained in us that we have to do exceptional things for God - but we do not. We have to be exceptional in the ordinary things of life, and holy on the ordinary streets, among ordinary people..." Oswald Chambers

I’ve let this quote soak in for quite a while today and I am refreshed by its simplicity. 


That’s another thing I’ve been thinking on a lot this week. 

The little man (that’d be my brother – I gave him that nickname years ago) has been sick all week and my mother has needed to be working outside the house. So, I’ve been home with him since Monday. And I have to say, I’ve enjoyed being home. Yesterday I felt like a prairie homesteader as I stacked wood near the back door to keep the fire glowing all day, swept ashes from the fireplace mantle, ladled homemade soup into terra cotta bowls, dried just-washed dishes, and folded tumbled laundry as the afternoon faded away. I’ve lived simply this week.
Doesn’t sound very marvelous, does it? But, oh it was! 

And in all those simple little things, I was serving. I was serving because all of my actions, each task came from a heart of thanks, a spirit of gentleness. Serving my family and serving the Lord. Not in doing anything extra ordinary, but in the little things… in the everyday chores. 

And I wonder, if I found this attitude for everything I do, would the ordinary feel more exceptional? Would the mundane tasks like cleaning the bathroom sink bring forth a spirit of joy and contentment?
And could I live simply, with joy, knowing that is enough? 

photo credit: jikido-san via photopin cc

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...