Saturday, January 5, 2013

Courting Cate by Leslie Gould: A Book Review




From the back cover:

When this couple gets to courting, Sparks Will Fly!
In Paradise, Pennsylvania, Cate Miller is known more for her sharp tongue and fiery temper than her striking appearance. Her sweet and flirty sister, Betsy, on the other hand, seems to have attracted most of the bachelors in Lancaster County!
But the sisters’ wealthy father has made one hard-and-fast rule: Cate, as the oldest, must get married before Betsy can do so. Unfortunately, untamable Cate has driven away every suitor – until Pete Treger comes to town, that is.
Prodded by the men of the area, Pete turns his attention to winning Cate’s hand. But is his interest true or is there a scheme at play?


As I sat down to read this book, I was rather  certain of the course the storyline would take. Romantic Christian Fiction novels tend to end in much the same manner as the ten before. While the marrative is somewhat expected, I was surprised to find the usual “end” closer to the middle of the plot with lots of dips and spills to follow. 

As far as Cate is concerned, I’ve found another kindred spirit. Her sharp words, practical ways, and strong will collided with mine, making us one in the same. It was, however, Cate’s assumptions of other’s thoughts of her (both physically and intellectually) that made me pause and find that there are moments when I realize I am NOT the only one to think, feel, respond that way… when you can sit down with seemingly unassuming book and end up with a friend, that turns simple words into a wonderful story. Oh! And did I mention it may be possible that Cate loved books even more than I?

As Cate and Pete’s story unfolded – think Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew – a wild range of emotions hit. From first time hostilities to compassionate moments, they hit them all. Their relationship does not find resolution until the final chapters and the highs and lows of both Cate and Pete weave a beautiful story of maturing together and learning to love.

Overall, a wonderful read. I look forward to the next one!

***Thanks to  Bethany House Publishers for providing me with a copy of the book in exchange for my honest opinion.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...