Friday, January 25, 2013

Shelter



As I read last night, cuddled under a pile of blankets, sheltered from the bitter January cold, I couldn’t help but be thankful for my cozy bed, warm down comforter, and quietly sleeping husband enclosed in four strong walls – holding out the biting wind and blustering snow.

And I thought to the local Missions, no doubt overfilled and pouring over with those far less fortunate than I, seeking shelter from the cold. And my heart broke for the little ones without mittens, the downtrodden lacking a steady roof, those simply doing their level best to huddle close together, someplace warm.

Let’s not forget, in the midst of our plenty, those in the midst of little. And let’s not forget that our precious Jesus died even for the least of us. For the hurting. For the broken. For the cold and the hungry. For the lonely. For the lost and abandoned.

So when you sit down to rest tonight, sheltered from the wintry weather, be thankful for your four walls that keep out the cold, and lift up a prayer to The One who commands the winds and the waves (and the snowflakes too) for those whose only refuge is found in Him.

And remember, too, that your refuge is in the Lord – your hope lies with Him – the walls are only a temporary comfort. His protection is greater still.

“I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.” 
Psalm 91:2 
photo credit: I Am Not I via photopin cc

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...