Sunday, May 5, 2013

All in Good Time by Maureen Lang: A Book Review

I've been MIA for the last few weeks - life has been crazy busy. Things are slowing down though, I hope, as the hubby graduates in a couple weeks and everyone will be back at home instead of flying on planes and traveling on trains!
Another quick note before we get to the book review - I simply cannot keep up with the monthly Bible reading calendars (they take a few hours, you know!) and I am terribly sorry... when life slows down and I get back to a schedule that allows for a bit more creativity I'll start them up again.. But, for now, those are on hold... if you'd like to continue reading month by month check out Gospel 2 Life {here} for some good suggestions.

Now, here we go!

All In Good Time
A Gilded Legacy Novel by Maureen Lang


From the Publisher:

Dessa Caldwell has a dream: to open Pierson House, a refuge for former prostitutes in Denver’s roughest neighborhood. But after exhausting all charitable donations, Dessa still needs a loan, and nearly every bank in town has turned her down. Her last hope hinges on the owner of Hawkins National Bank.

Henry Hawkins has a secret: though he owns the most successful bank in town, his initial capital came from three successful raids on Wells Fargo coaches. Now he’s the most eligible bachelor in Denver, but to protect his criminal past, he’s built a fortress around his heart. Not even the boldest matchmaking mother can tempt him . . . until the day Dessa Caldwell ventures into his bank requesting a loan.

Though he’s certain her proposal is a bad investment, Henry is drawn to Dessa’s passion. But that same passion drives her to make rash decisions about Pierson House . . . and about whom she can trust. One man might hold the key to the future of her mission—but he also threatens to bring Henry’s darkest secrets to light. As the walls around their hearts begin to crumble, Henry and Dessa must choose between their plans and God’s, between safety and love.


More and more I find that I enjoy Historical Fiction over most others.  After reading a few modern stories in a row, I was glad to be back to horse drawn carriages and long flowing skirts.

Ms. Lang draws the reader in from the beginning with tales of a rather wild west bank robbery that sets the stage for the story to come.  After this, however, the first few pages of the book paled in comparison… I had a bit of a hard time getting through to the middle. But, it was well worth the perseverance.  I much enjoyed the second half of Dessa and Henry’s story and the bumps and twists along the way as well.

Some of my displeasure, perhaps, came from Dessa’s rather constant struggle with impatience.  All in Good Time is aptly titled. However, this displeasure was certainly less from the writing style and more from my own glaring lack of patience. Dessa and I have that I common, I am afraid.

All in all, a good read. The sleepy romance gently twirled throughout the plot is a wonderful addition and I much enjoyed learning along with Dessa that sometimes second chances should be given to first impressions and that the Lord’s plans, while maybe not our own, are always in good time.

*** With thank to Tyndale House Publishers for providing me with a copy of the book in exchange for my honest opinion. 

Follow my love of books on Pinterest. Or take a look at my Good Reads shelf for more inspiration.

Happy reading!  



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...