Friday, May 31, 2013

Thunder and Rain by Charles Martin



Thunder and Rain
By Charles Martin

Third generation Texas Ranger Tyler Steele is the last of a dying breed— a modern day cowboy hero living in a world that doesn’t quite understand his powerful sense of right and wrong and instinct to defend those who can’t defend themselves. Despite his strong moral compass, Ty has trouble seeing his greatest weakness. His hard outer shell, the one essential to his work, made him incapable of forging the emotional connection his wife Andie so desperately needed.
Now retired, raising their son Brodie on his own, and at risk of losing his ranch, Ty does not know how to rebuild from the rubble of his life. The answer comes in the form of Samantha and her daughter Hope, on the run from a seemingly inescapable situation. They are in danger, desperate, and alone. Though they are strangers, Ty knows he can help— protecting the innocent is what he does best. As his relationship with Sam and Hope unfolds, Ty realizes he must confront his true weaknesses if he wants to become the man he needs to be.

In case you hadn’t noticed, I pretty much think CharlesMartin is brilliant! His striking honesty cuts deep to the human condition and I find myself lost in his stories days after I’ve turned the final page.

Thunder and Rain was no different. A beautiful story, really. The transparency of Martin’s characters is refreshing and his literary style is wonderfully crafted. About 1/3 of the novel is told from the words of young Hope, in her shockingly honest, journal written, words to God. It took me a bit to get in to the rhythm of this, but I came to find her words so truthful and plain – out of the mouths of babes and all that…

I have heard it complained (yes, I’m using poor grammar) that Martin writes in a feminine style… I disagree. The male perspective of his narratives is profound - and raw… there’s no fluff, and I think that’s why I like reading his work so very much. 

Anyway, if you want to check out a bit of the book, you can read a FREE EXCERPT {here}

Happy weekend! Happy reading!


Take two minutes and followWest of Newbury Street on  BLOGLOVIN'  or catch up with me on Goodreads!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...