Thursday, June 27, 2013

Choosing Love: Patience


{via}

I’ve been digging in to The Love Dare recently. I know, I know – I’m so behind, right – that whole Love Dare fad was years ago. But hear me out... 

This book comes with a stigma, I think. A preconceived (and purposefully marketed) thought that it is strictly for struggling marriages. For husbands. For wives. And while that may be true, it is for so much more. 

Because we don’t limit love to single relationships. 

We throw it around, bask in it, and call it by name with so many more than our spouses. And, learning to – choosing to - love is for more than just my husband. It’s for my friends, my coworkers, for the struggling mom in the apartment below me, the elderly woman with an armful of groceries in the parking lot. 

Love reaches far past the boxes we put it into.

And so, we begin. With patience.

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2

 “…Patience stops problems in their tracks. More than biting your lip, more than clasping a hand over your mouth, patience takes a needed deep breath. It clears the air. It stops foolishness from whipping its scorpion tail all over the room.”

A scorpion tail… can you see it? Can you conjure up the last time you got the final, biting word in? Stormed off in a huff before waiting for a response? Reacted in anger without all the facts?
Can you picture that foolishness whipping through the air?

I read the patience chapter weeks ago and yet, I still have to purpose each day to choose it. To choose patience over a short fuse.
Some days I think I may simply implode if I have to hold my tongue for one more minute. (In my world, my words are that scorpion tail…) but in the moments that I take a second, seek the Lord (literally sending up prayers here) and choose patience, I choose to love.
I choose to lay down my agenda, my pride, my opinion, my voice and pick up and pour out love.

And, you know what, the more I choose patience – the more I choose love, the more I desire to.

“Few of us do patience very well, and none of us does it naturally. But wise men and women will pursue it as an essential ingredient to their relationships.”


Take two minutes and followWest of Newbury Street on  BLOGLOVIN' Or, there's always FACEBOOK. Catch up with me on PINTEREST  or, if you'd prefer, there's a fancy "Follow by Email" box on the right, too!
 



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Humbling post!...your Dear friend

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...