Monday, July 15, 2013

Tyndale Blog Tour: Popular by Tindell Baldwin

“Tindell Baldwin’s words best describe her passion and this book: My heart is for teenage girls because my story is much like so many of theirs. I was just a girl who made a lot of mistakes. I was a girl who had sex before marriage and then had a broken heart. I was a girl who did drugs and drank to fill the void that was deep in my heart. I was a girl who was desperate to be popular. A girl who, like so many others, didn’t know the dark side of sin. So my aim is to reach teenage girls, and through an honest account of my darkest sins, show them what they are up against. My heart is that teens would hear my story and flee to Christ. My greatest desire is that God would be glorified above all else.” 
This book is a bit out of the norm for me but I was drawn to it from the beginning. Maybe it was the ease of reading or the blatant honesty or the deep rooted pain, I’m not certain even still, but Tindell’s story is one you should read.

Let my start by saying that I do not have a story like Tindell. I saved sex for marriage, I didn’t drink, I didn’t do drugs, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t desperate to fit in. And that is why this book works. It’s not just a story for teenage girls on the wrong path – I was on the right path, doing the rights things, saying the right words – but that didn’t mean that deep down my heart wasn’t crying out for the very same thing every young girl’s does. Acceptance. Belonging. Love.

Popular hits some heavy topics straight on – sex, drugs, alcohol, eating disorders – but it doesn’t dwell on these matters. The heart of the book and, Tindell’s heart as well I think, is sharing the truth. Proclaiming Christ. Tindell tells a story of healing and restoration and the need of a savior. And that is a story we can all relate to.

*** With thanks to Tyndale House publishers for providing me a copy of the book in exchange for my honest opinion. 


Follow West of Newbury Street on BLOGLOVIN'. Catch some of my favorite things on PINTEREST.  Or check out the sidebar to get West of Newbury Street sent to your inbox!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...