Saturday, October 19, 2013

Snickerdoodle Cookies


As the crisp Fall air wafted in through my open windows this morning, I spun my home into a simple Autumn retreat... a little late, I know, but I've been busy ;)
I love the beautiful colors of fall - deep reds, bright oranges, vibrant yellows...
And now, as distinct cinnamon-y, sugar-y swirls of freshly baked snickerdoodle cookies collide with that same crisp autumn air, I can almost feel the heat from the hearth of a robust fire and the crackly-pop of gathered kindling... wonderful how smells transport you, isn't it?

Snickerdoodles: A Recipe from Early Twentieth Century America

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Preheat over to 350 degrees.
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.
In a separate bowl, beat together the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar on medium speed  until pale and fluffy - about 3 minutes.
Mix in eggs.
Reduce speed to low and gradually mix in flour mixture.

Stir together remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
Shape dough in to 1 3/4 inch balls and roll in cinnamon sugar.
Space approximately 3 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paaper.

Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until edges are golden. 12-15 minutes.
Let cool on baking sheets on wire rack.

Makes about 1 1/2 dozen. 
Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

Martha Stewart's Cookies 2008

Notes from my kitchen:
1. Beating the sugar and butter until pale and fluffy is REALLY important with these cookies - under mixing will lead to dense cookies.
2. I used my cookie scoop to keep sizes even and ended up with about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
3. My electric oven needed about 14 minutes per batch.
4. I promise you that one pan at a time, rotating halfway through the cooking time will make your cookies oodles better! Definitely worth the extra oven time!

These would be marvelously tasty served alongside spiced apple cider I think, don't you!? 


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I posted a comment on here the othe day and it didn not show!! Weird! Anyway I said those cookies look amazing and I am sure you and your hubby are enjoying them!! One question though...how did you melt the butter?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...