Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Love. It’s what makes a Subaru, a Subaru…



Love. It’s what makes a Subaru, a Subaru…
{In which I wax on poetically* about my mother dearest and my most recent automotive adventures} :-)
*for the sake of full disclosure, this is a relative term


I was not born into the age of digital cameras and video recorders. Instead, my mother walked around with a giant video camera (fuzzy black microphone and all) semi-permanently attached to her shoulder and a hefty camera with the little peep hole to look through and film to develop. The little man (my brother) on the other hand has never understood film or VHS or photo processing. He was born in to the instant-gratification-generation… and my mother knew it.
As digital cameras gradually took over and disposable cardboard box photo booths and watch-the-birdy cameras went out of style, she was always sure to respond to inevitable question (after taking a photo with a digital camera) “can I see it?” with “NO, you cannot. You can wait.” She was the anti-instant-gratification force in a generation filled with it and another quickly forgetting what it meant to wait for anything.

I thought about those moments with my mother and the digital camera a lot this week as I waited… and waited… and waited…

You see, after ten years of zipping about on highways, meandering through quaint downtowns and cruising the high altitudes of mountain-side roads, my little car has reached its end.
It is both bitter and sweet. Many adventures were had behind the wheel of my Volkswagen – first drives with my baby brother, long road trips with Dad, on-my-own journeys to mountain peaks…

And, yet, new beginnings have a way of sweetening the bitterness of goodbyes, don’t they?

I’ve waited years for the “dream” car and all week since its purchase to finally drive it home to my oh-so-blessed life with husband in tow. (The car is, of course, a bit too granola-y for his taste and just perfect for mine…)

And, I think, the waiting makes the final discovery all that more sweet.
My mother knew this, of course. And, because of her, I do too.


Pin It

1 comment:

  1. You write so well!!! So happy and excited for you!!!...ME!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...